How does this book help students, teachers and schools?
- It helps students:
- Better plan and record their meal preparations and hence maximise their grades.
- Consolidate all their recipes in one resource and demonstrate their competencies.
- It helps teachers and assessors:
- Present a consistent meal preparation planning and reporting process to their students.
- Make assessment and moderation quicker and easier.
- Report against consistent marking benchmarks.
- Gather evidence of competency for each student.reinforce the key steps that students.
- It helps schools with a shortage of skilled food technology and hospitality teachers raise the academic standard of their kitchen classes.
Which students can use this exercise book?
- All secondary school students from year 7 to 12.
- All VET and TAFE Certificate I, II and III hospitality students
Assessment sheets for download
To support the Food Technology & Hospitality Kitchen Work Book, there are several assessment templates which are available for secondary school teachers, and VET / TAFE Hospitality kitchen assessors and trainers.
- Student Self Assessment Form MSWord | PDF
- Teacher/Trainer Assessment Form MSWord | PDF
- Rubric Assessment Criteria Form MSWord | PDF
- Competency Assessment Form MSWord | PDF
“I would highly recommend this book to all Hospitality students & even junior Food Technology students. It has been an excellent resource, especially for the unit of competency ‘Carry out basic workplace calculations’.
This workbook has helped our students learn about costings and overheads, weighing & conversions, time plans & work flow, and food portion control.
I have seen a huge improvement in the way our students plan and write up their kitchen work, and appreciate the valuable contribution this Workbook has made to my lessons.”
Hospitality and Food Technology Teacher, Merici College, ACT.
“A fantastic resource for demonstrating and recording competencies in a school, VET or TAFE learning environment”.
VET and TAFE lecturer, Canberra.
“What a great book. Our students will now understand the processes involved in planning and writing up their kitchen work”.
Food Science Teacher – Canberra.
“The online assessment resources are excellent and provide various options for assessment and gathering evidence of competencies!”
School Hospitality Coordinator, NSW Secondary School.